SOS Electricals | What Are The Signs Of Electrical Hazard?
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-17001,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-6.1,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.11.2,vc_responsive

What Are The Signs Of Electrical Hazard?


06 Nov What Are The Signs Of Electrical Hazard?

Electricity has been said to be a very good servant; but a terrible master! Electrical accidents at home or in the work place can be costly. At best, they can cause a scare or minor damage to electrical appliances. At worst, they can cause massive damage as well as loss of life. This is why electrical hazards should be nipped in the bud as soon as they are noticed. Never wait for an electrical fault to become serious before you have it repaired. And better still, never attempt to repair electrical faults unless you are a qualified electrician.

  1. Abnormal buzzing sounds; we’ve all experienced these abnormal buzzing sounds when we switch on switches. It could be the normal switch to your bulb, or the hot shower one. Whatever the case, buzzing noises in switches are a common indicator that something is not right. Always get a professional electrician to come and assess the switch and recommend whether anything needs replacement.
  2. Burning or acrid smell; anytime you notice or sense a burning smell especially one that resembles plastic burning, it is recommended that you instantly turn off all power. More often than not, this smell as a result of the cable insulations melting and the next thing that happens is a short circuit. Fires can also occur and spread pretty fast under such circumstances. Faulty cables and other appliances that are inserted in sockets tend to be the greatest causes of electrical related fires.
  3. damaged_wiresDelay in power flow; ever seen a switch that fails to work even after being turned on and you have to really press it in order for it to work? Or that faulty socket where you have to twist and turn your phone charger before the power starts flowing? Such should ring alarm bells in your mind; these could easily cause a short circuit or even damage your home electrical appliances with the fluctuating power surges.
  4. Lights turning themselves off and on; this is a rare occurrence, but one that we should never ignore nonetheless. You’ve probably ever seen some bulbs going on and then off intermittently without anyone switching them on or off. Usually, this is an indicator that there’s a faulty connection somewhere that needs to be fixed. Again, always ensure that a professional electrician rectifies such.
  5. Repeated damage of electrical appliances; although home electrical appliances do get damaged by power surges, this should always be accidental rather than patterned. If your electrical appliances have gotten damaged several times in a span of a few weeks or months, chances are that there is some faulty connection and wiring within the premises. Perhaps you want to consider inviting an electrician to come over and conduct the necessary tests. Such tests will determine among other things, the total amount of voltage flowing in, whether the cables are capable of handling such current, and what may be causing the constant power surges.


Electrical hazards are best remedied promptly; never wait for an anomaly you’ve noticed to get serious before seeking help. It could be too late.