28 Nov Tips To Avoid Electrical Hazards In Residential Areas
For the home in this modern era, electricity is the most dangerous and scariest hazard. Every year lots of homes catch fire because of damaged or faulty electrical wiring in the house, and many hundreds of people lose their lives. In many cases, it’s a tragic scenario that is preventable. Fortunately, with a proactive approach to safeguarding your home from harmful electrical hazards, you can avoid becoming a victim yourself. However, there are several ways in which you can prevent such hazards in your residence.
Some simple ways to protect your home from electrical hazards in London include:
- You should get a licensed and trained electrician check the home circuit and control box. If there is a fault the expert can install a safety switch as a replacement of the external fuse box. All frayed, worn out or damaged cables and insulation in the house should be replaced by an electrician or a responsible adult.
- All appliances should be switched off before the appliance is unplugged from the socket within the home circuit. It is recommended to hold the plug of the apparatus and not the cord while unplugging electrical devices. It is also recommended to switch off appliances when not using or servicing them.
- Take damaged or faulty appliances to the electrician for repair or just responsibly dispose of them. Only trained professionals should attempt to repair such devices. A licensed electrician should be hired for all repairs on switches and sockets, light fittings and power points.
- It is important to ensure that electrical appliances never come in to contact with water, pools of water or any form of moisture. When using electricity in places that are wet, it is recommended to always wear insulated gear such as shoes with rubber soles and insulation gloves. Ensure that you unplug outdoor appliances after their use them or when not using them.
- You should never handle switches, sockets, power points and appliances with hands that are wet since it can cause electrical shock and loss. It also advisable to handle special appliances following instructions such as folding or crumpling an electric blanket that could cause a short circuit.
- At all the power points and switches should have plug-in covers that will close off access to the live conductors. It prevents children and even adults from interfering with them through activities like poking in them or inserting objects in them.
- It is advisable to label electrical equipment and appliances that have a high risk of producing electrical shock with a danger tag.
- Do not modify electrical plugs. You should never file the edges, remove the ground pin, or change an electrical plug so that it may fit into a socket.
- Keep extension cords in a safe place where they cannot be stepped on or ran over. The pressure applied on them can cause an extension cord’s conductor to become shapeless or break, problems that can lead to electrical fires.
- Always use the right extension cord for the job. Before plugging in, make sure that the wattage rating of the extension cord you’re using is higher than the pull of the apparatus it’s running. Using an extension cord to provide more wattage than it’s rating can cause strain, overheat, and even fire.
Electrical fires can sometimes be fatal. The above simple tips can save loss of lives and property if adhered to. The number one rule you should have in mind is to remember that water and electricity do not mix. Always use the right tool for the right job and never try to fix any electrical faults if you are not a professional.