In this new millennium, post-modern times demand the use of modern technology in everyday industrial, commercial and home activities. The latest in innovative trends offer machinery, equipment and appliances that make work easier, efficient and effective. These equipment in order for them to run smoothly and have their purpose fully, have to be well maintained and used in the correct way for them to survive their lifespan and do their work with a 100% efficiency factor. Most of these equipment function using electricity. Electric current is the force that drive such equipment and it is therefore advisable to understand how to manage and service electricity based equipment. Training and instructions on the use of electrical equipment is key for industrial and commercial personnel as well as at home.
Work well using electrical equipment
Before putting in to action any electrical equipment, it is recommended to make sure that the work or home environment is safe and conducive. These are the actions to follow to ensure that happens:
- One should perform a risk assessment in order to pinpoint and identify potential risks and hazards that may occur and the consequent control measures you should use. The work or home environment should be thoroughly scoped to ascertain that use or introduction or electrical equipment will not bring risks and hazards that may cause harm or damage.
- It is very vital to check and confirm that the electrical equipment is suitable for the work or home environment and for its intended purpose. The specifications of the equipment should be read and assurance that it is suitable and will function determined. Things such as power rating are key so that they do not overload circuits.
- The electrical equipment should be carefully examined to ensure that it is in good condition before use. Faults and risks should be determined before the equipment goes in to service. This will prevent risks and hazards from occurring and also lead to repair or replacement of damaged equipment.
- It is important both at home and in the work place to ensure that the electrical supply for the main is suitable for use with all the electrical equipment within that premise and its electric circuits. Regular tests should be performed to reduced risks and faults. This is done by a licensed professional who is able to vividly identify faults in the electrical system and fix it.
- Incorporation of a Residual Current Device in the electrical system and circuit of the home or work place will reduce the chances of the electrical hazards within the circuits when electrical equipment is used or introduced to the circuits. This is installed in the main switchboard hence the system is protected from the main source permanently.
- It is a requirement that the user of the electrical equipment is well trained and proficient in the use of such equipment and has experience in handling it. The user should practice safe work or home environment protocols and have the capacity to protect others in the event of any hazards. The user should also have protective gear on at all times while using the equipment.