For the home in this modern era, electricity is the most dangerous and scariest hazard. Electricity moves at speeds of nanoseconds without any noise and smell and when it strikes it more often than not leads to destruction of property and loss of life. It is not all bad though, since electrical work at home is usually safe when proper safety measures are adhered to.
To prevent electrocution at home, shut off power to the appliances not in use. Since some appliances hold charge when no power is going through them, further precaution is to be considered for those.
It is important to know how to turn off appliances and equipment reducing the risk of electrical shock and damage. It is important also to familiarize with the wiring and circuit of the home.
Here are seven easy ways to protects the home from electrical hazards:
- Have a licensed and professional electrician check the home circuit and control box, whence, he/she can install a safety switch inside the home as a replacement of the external fuse box. The electrician or a responsible adult should replace frayed, worn out or damaged cords and insulation within the home.
- Ensure an appliance is turned off before the appliance is unplugged from the socket within the home circuit. And when unplugging these appliances, it is advisable to hold the plug of the appliance and not the cord. It is also recommended to turn appliances off when not in use or service.
- Take faulty or damaged appliances to the electrician to be repaired or just responsibly dispose them. One should not attempt to repair such appliances unless they are trained professionals. A licensed electrician should be called for all repairs and assistance such as switches and sockets, light fittings and power points.
- It is of utmost importance to ensure that outdoor appliances never come in to contact with water, pools of water or any form of moisture. It is also recommended when using electricity in wet areas to always were insulated gear such as rubber-soled shoes and insulation gloves. Also make sure to unplug outdoor appliances after using them or when not in use.
- As a rule of thumb, never ever touch sockets, switches, power points and appliances with wet hands since there is a high risk of electrical shock and damage. It also not advisable to handle special appliances without following instructions such as folding or crumpling an electric blanket that may lead to a short circuit.
- At all the power points and switches, there should be use of plug-in covers that will close off access to the live conductors at this point and therefore children and even adults can not interfere with them through activities like poking in them or inserting objects that will aid in plugging in appliances.
- It is advisable to tag or label electrical equipment and appliances that have high risk of causing electrical shock as with a danger tag. When plugging in appliances, ensure the power points and the sockets are in the off position.